The Faculty of Engineering at the University of Southern Denmark (SDU) invites applications for one or more 3-year positions as PhD in the area of Power Capacitors and their applications. The positions are located at the section Electrical Engineering in Sønderborg within the Centre for Industrial Electronics (CIE). Starting date is September 15th, 2022, or as soon as possible thereafter.
The task portfolio of the PhD will be linked to several projects within CIE. CIE is embedded in a powerhouse in electronics, which includes researchers and developers at universities and industries on both sides of the Danish-German border. CIE is a new initiative striving for high quality and great impact of its research, innovation, and education. Central to achieving this objective is access to state-of-the-art facilities and collaborations with industries.
The aim of the position is to build strong knowledge and competencies within capacitor theory and simulation.
- You will conduct research in the field of capacitor theory and thermal and electrical simulation of capacitors.
- You will participate in planning, execution and documentation of projects with industrial partners.
- You will be involved in the daily co-supervision of Master and Bachelor students.
- You will publish and present your work both at international conferences and in scientific journals with high impact.
- You will assist in teaching activities.
- You have a Master degree (equivalent to a Danish master's degree) in Electronics, Physics, Chemistry or related fields.
- You are a team player and have strong communication skills.
- You are interested in a longer term commitment in a growing research group and you are willing to work in close cooperation with industry.
- You are fluent in English, both spoken and written.
Further information is available Professor Thomas Ebel, Head of CIE, phone: +45 6550 1288, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you experience technical problems you must contact email@example.com.
Conditions of employmentApplicants are required to have a master’s degree (equivalent to a Danish master's degree) at the time of enrollment and employment. Employment as a PhD fellow is a 3-year salaried position (start salary amounts to approx. 3.378,- EURO per month incl. supplements).
Employment of a PhD fellow can only happen after the Head of the PhD School has approved the candidate for admission to the PhD school. Employment and enrollment will cease without further notice at the end of the period.
A PhD fellow is not allowed to have any kind of sideline employment, while enrolled as PhD fellow at the faculty.
Employment is governed by the Protocol on PhD Research Fellows signed by the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. Please check links for more information on salary and taxation.
The successful candidate will be enrolled at SDU in accordance with Faculty regulations and the Danish Ministerial Order on the PhD Programme at the Universities (PhD order), read more here.
The assessment processRead about the Assessment and selection process. Shortlisting may be used.
Application procedureThe Faculty expects applicants to read the Faculty information for prospective PhD students and the SDU information on How to apply before applying.
The application deadline is August 15th, 2022.The application must be in English and must include the following - the required forms must be found at the Faculty website:
- Completed TEK PhD application form for 5+3 applicants. Find the form at the Faculty website.
- Motivation letter stating your specific interest, motivation and qualifications for the project in question (max. 2 pages). Upload in the field called “Project description”.
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae, describing research, publication and teaching experience, computational skills and including personal contact information.
- Verified copies of the official bachelor diploma and master's diploma and transcripts of exams, both the original documents and in professional English translation.
- Completed TEK PhD form for calculation grade point average. Find the form at the Faculty website. Upload in one of the fields called “Publication”.
- An official document describing the grading scheme of the awarding universities (if not Danish). Upload in one of the fields called “Publication”.
- An official and verified written assessment of the thesis or dissertation project from the grade giving institution, if the thesis/examination project is evaluated by approved/passed. The statement must clearly state that the candidate has been among the top 30 pct. in the graduation class for the study programme.
- List of publications and maximum 2 examples of relevant publications, in case you have any publications. Please attach one pdf-file for each publication.
- References (names and emails) and reference letters may also be included. You're welcome to use the form for reference letter at the Faculty website.