Job TitleElectrical Designer
Job DescriptionPhilips is a global leader in health technology, committed to improving billions of lives worldwide and striving to make the world healthier and more sustainable through innovation. Driven by the vision of a better tomorrow.
But it’s not just what we do, it’s who we are. We are 80,000, wonderfully unique individuals, with two things in common. and a relentless determination to deliver on our customers’ needs. It’s what inspires us to create meaningful solutions – the kind that make a real difference – when it matters most.
The world and our customers’ needs are changing faster than ever before and while we are proud of what we do already, we know we can do more. That’s why we need you, to help us tackle increasingly complex challenges posed by ever evolving health and well-being needs.
In this role, you have the opportunity to make life better
Looking at the challenges the world is facing today Philips’ purpose has never been more relevant. So whatever your role, if you share our passion for helping others, you’ll be working towards creating a better and fairer future for all.
In this role, you have the opportunity toBe an integral part of the Emergency Care and Resuscitation (ECR) R&D leadership team, actively participating in cardiac defibrillator product development. ECR team has a broad product portfolio of advanced life support solutions, automated external defibrillators, and data management solutions. Our mission is to design, produce, and deliver every solution as if the life of someone we love depends on it. Every day, we empower and enable our customers – from clinicians to paramedics, first responders to the everyman – to save lives using our innovative, market-leading technology.
We are looking for a passionate Electric Designer to join us as we strengthen our product portfolio, expand our services and solutions, and bring game-changing technology to market. This team member will be responsible for working collaboratively with a team of cross-functional engineers.
You are responsible for
- Responsible for providing post-launch support of printed circuit board assemblies (PCBA) and electrical components. The successful candidate will also assume a leadership role in the planning of complex technical projects, as well as providing guidance and mentoring to junior-level engineers and technicians.
- Focus on Value Analysis and Value Engineering (VAVE), sustaining engineering, and supplier transfer projects for Philips Healthcare products.
- Responsible for Electrical engineering support for lifecycle/sustaining projects involving electromechanical systems in both production and after-market phases. Activities include but are not limited to Root Cause Analysis, proposal and development of creative design solutions, as well as the support of verification and validation (V&V) activities required for their implementation.
- Responsibilities will also include the reverse engineering and detailed design of legacy PCBA and electrical components and subsystems.
- Support the production of existing systems by investigating the root cause of issues found in manufacturing and early-life field failures experienced by customers / end users.
- Conceive, develop, and implement creative design solutions to improve manufacturability and prevent the recurrence of defects.
- Create and modify PCBA design packages and electrical component specifications, including but not limited to electrical circuit schematics, PCBA manufacturing specification packages, and wire harness / cable assembly specifications for products currently in production phase.
- Review and approve PCBA design packages for release to contract manufacturers.
- Reverse engineer and create PCBA design specification packages for legacy products in post-production phase.
- Complete engineering modeling and analysis of electrical systems.
- Employ empirical test methods to verify design performance and then document the results.
- Collaborate across technical disciplines to achieve project and program deliverables. These include, but are not limited to:
- Electrical, Software, Systems, Experience Design, Design Transfer, Quality, Regulatory personnel.
- Contract design firms, contract manufacturing firms.
- Drive/execute continuous improvement projects related to design implementation, manufacturing, product quality, and field reliability.
- Drive/execute strategic projects aligned with business goals that meet internal stakeholder objectives as well as electrical engineering design requirements.
- Contributes to technology roadmaps and other strategic related activities.
- Provides technical leadership to ensure overall product development success.
You are a part ofThis position resides in EC (Emergency Care and Public Access) Business Category within the Connected Care Cluster. Emergency Care is expanding access to and quality of respiratory care, resuscitation, and emergency care solutions (including devices, services, and digital/data solutions). We are the number one provider of therapeutic care solutions, saving and improving more and more lives every year.
This role will be based in our Pune office and will report to the Emergency Care R&D Leader in Pune, India. This is a very exciting time to be joining Philips, as this new location will be emerging as a strong engineering team in Emergency Care product development.
To succeed in this role, you’ll need a customer-first attitude and the following
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Electronics/Mechanical Engineering or related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Total 8+ years’ experience with Minimum 3 years of experience in medical device or other similar industry.
- Demonstrated knowledge of global quality and regulatory environment for medical devices including FDA CFR 21 part 820.30 and IEC 60601-1-1 (CE mark), ISO 13485, and risk management requirements and development dependencies.
- Demonstrated proficiency in analog schematics and PCBA layout design.
- Demonstrated proficiency with state-of-the-art electrical CAD software packages; Siemens EDA (formerly Mentor Graphics) is preferred.
- Expertise in digital circuit design is a plus.
- Proficiency in the use of laboratory equipment for testing and debugging. PCBA’s (oscilloscope, function generator, data acquisition tools, digital multimeter, I2C/SPI analyzer, CAN analyzer).
- Experience with design and debugging for compliance with industry EMI/EMC and ESD standards.
- Experience with design and debugging of ADC, DAC and signal conditioning circuitry.
- Demonstrated proficiency in PCBA design for quality & reliability methodologies, including derating analysis, DFMEA, Monte Carlo analysis, and HALT/HASS is required.
- Understanding and application of Design for Manufacturing (DfM) and Design for Assembly (DfA) principles as they relate to PCBA design.
- Detailed knowledge of PCBA defect investigation methods and tools.
- Knowledge and application of statistical methods for testing and data analysis.
- Experience with international medical Quality and Regulatory standards (e.g. IEC, FDA, UL, CE, etc.) is preferred.
- Proven ability to communicate in both verbal and written formats with technical and non-technical customers, stakeholders, and various levels of management.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint is required; Microsoft Project experience is a plus.
- Experience in designing and assessing compliance to national/international standards.
- Experience with designing fault-tolerant systems.
- Proven ability to communicate in both verbal and written form to technical and non-technical customers, stakeholders, and various levels of management.
- Possess strategic agility/vision: Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future concerns.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships and is capable of quickly earning trust and respect.
In return, we offer you an opportunity to serve a bigger purpose. At Philips, our mission to improve the lives of 2.5 billion people per year by 2030, and every day, we move closer to achieving our goal by creating cutting-edge solutions that lead to confident diagnosis, improved care, and increased quality of life for patients drive us. We enable our employees to create a legacy in life through their work and support their development through people-centric learning, total rewards and personalized development planning programs. Our business provides unique opportunities to develop and deliver meaningful solutions in the healthcare space and this new position is a unique opportunity to shape the next generation solutions we are developing.
How we work at PhilipsOur newly-adopted hybrid work concept fuses flexibility with collaboration to deliver great outcomes for our people and our customers. We are embracing an approach wherein we spend more time together than apart – which for full-time employees translates to an average of at least 3 days working from the office and up to 2 days from home – for our hybrid roles.
Hybrid work flexibility means people can meet the changing demands of work and home in the most balanced, productive, and healthy way.
Our hybrid working model is defined in 3 ways:
We believe in the importance of impactful collaboration: There's a certain energy when everyone’s in the same room that can heighten idea generation and creative friction needed for problem-solving.
We embrace flexibility: Choosing where, when and how to work can vary according to task and team schedules. Flexibility isn’t office or online, it means choosing the space that works best for you, your teams and our customers on a case-by-case basis.
We want to be at our best: The way we work and our workspaces are designed to support our well-being, offer career advancement opportunities, and enable us to be at our best.
Why should you join Philips?Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on innovative, customer-first health technology solutions. Help us improve the health and well-being of billions of people, every year. Ultimately creating a career that no one could have planned for. Even you.