Job TitleFirmware Architect
Job DescriptionPhilips is a global leader in health technology, committed to improving billions of lives worldwide and striving to make the world healthier and more sustainable through innovation. Driven by the vision of a better tomorrow.
But it’s not just what we do, it’s who we are. We are 80,000, wonderfully unique individuals, with two things in common. and a relentless determination to deliver on our customers’ needs. It’s what inspires us to create meaningful solutions – the kind that make a real difference – when it matters most.
The world and our customers’ needs are changing faster than ever before and while we are proud of what we do already, we know we can do more. That’s why we need you, to help us tackle increasingly complex challenges posed by ever evolving health and well-being needs.
In this role, you have the opportunity for Defining architecture strategy, balancing long- and short-term views and balancing conflicting requirements (e.g., security vs. performance) in alignment with software leaders. Working with stakeholders to develop the architectural runway and spikes in support of new business features and capabilities
You are responsible for firmware / embedded software development of portable medical devices and associated equipment in respiratory solutions.
- Working with teams, customers, suppliers, software leaders and product and solution management to define and design at a high-level a solution/platform (incl. solution/platform intent, information models, and documentation requirements) and ensures fitness of purpose by focusing on consumer needs and technological competitiveness
- Delivering an optimal and consolidated architecture/design, leveragingtechnology, and evaluating design alternatives including cost-benefit analysis
- Defining system/items/units (for example components) and their interfaces, creating well-defined building blocks, system options and scenarios. Allocating responsibilities to system/items/units, understanding and supports solution deployment
- Leading improvement initiatives with regard to technological improvements and performing future-oriented studies with other specialists
- Leading the creative design process within our group and the department in which it resides
- Inspiring and supporting senior software/firmware designers
- Design and develop firmware/software for respiratory portfolio.
- Create software requirements specifications, software architecture documents, and detailed software design documents based on electrical schematics of the embedded hardware platform.
- Design and debug firmware for embedded processors, microcontrollers, digital signal processors, and other electronic components or circuits using assembly, C, and/or C++ programming languages.
- Design and debug multi-threaded firmware to run on various real-time operating systems.
- Use test and measurement apparatus, including oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, communication protocol analyzers, and signal generators, to ensure that firmware functions per design requirements.
- Manage relationships with software tools vendors, distributors, and subcontractors.
- Manage the transition of products from the development stage to full-scale production and ensure that products are delivered to market on time and on budget.
- Direct and coordinate operation, maintenance, and repair of equipment in field installations as required.
- Perform all these tasks under minimal supervision, and possess the ability to complete all phases of major projects
You are a part of Connected Care cluster organization focusing on development of mechanical and electrical designs for a common platform serving multiple product lines. Healthcare Innovation Center (HIC) is playing a key role in Philips global strategy for Connected Care businesses.
At Philips we are passionate about improving quality of life with solutions designed around the needs of customers and their patients. Innovation is driven by gaining insight to the needs of the people who use our sleep and respiratory solutions. This tradition of innovation, combined with our ability to anticipate market needs, has made Philips a global leader in the markets we serve.
To succeed in this role, you’ll need a customer-first attitude and the following
- Bachelors / Masters in Computer Engineering/Software Engineering, Informatics, or equivalent required
- 12+ years of related work experience
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience in Android and iOS mobile software development, preferable in developing SDKs (Software Development Kit) (rather than only app development) of which at least 3 – 4 years as a junior software architect
- Affinity with and experience in Agile software development, Continuous Integration (Jenkins), and TDD (Test Driven Development)
- Strong knowledge and experience in Java, Objective C, Swift, Kotlin, …
- Effective communication skills and able to define requirements based on customer needs
- Good knowledge of the state-of-the-art toolsets used in mobile software development
- Ability to define work packages and manage remote development teams (in various time zones)
- Experience in Wi-Fi, BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy), and cellular communication stacks is a pre
- Experience in medical regulated environments
- Expert level programming skills in C and C++ for real time environments.
- Experience developing software in various RTOS (Real Time Operating System) environments (e.g.,Free RTOS, VxWorks, Yocto Linux).
- Experience implementing highly optimized digital signal processing algorithms.
- Experience with linear algebra/matrix processing and associated software packages (MATLAB, etc.)
- Experience estimating and planning software development projects.
- Experience reading and understanding printed circuit board schematics.
- Experience using test and measurement equipment, including oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, communication protocol analyzers, and signal generators.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software suite, including Microsoft Visio.
- Ability to demonstrate strong attention to accuracy and detail.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks.
In return, we offer you a challenging, innovative environment with great opportunities to explore. Our benefits are very competitive and designed around your preferences:
- A rewarding career in Philips with attractive package.
- A variable bonus based on both Philips results and personal performance
- Extensive set of tools to drive your career, such as a personal development budget, free training and coaching
- Attractive collective health insurance package
- Opportunity to buy Philips shares and products with discount
How we work at Philips
Our newly-adopted hybrid work concept fuses flexibility with collaboration to deliver great outcomes for our people and our customers. We are embracing an approach wherein we spend more time together than apart – which for full-time employees translates to an average of at least 3 days working from the office and up to 2 days from home – for our hybrid roles.
Hybrid work flexibility means people can meet the changing demands of work and home in the most balanced, productive, and healthy way.
Our hybrid working model is defined in 3 ways:
We believe in the importance of impactful collaboration: There's a certain energy when everyone’s in the same room that can heighten idea generation and creative friction needed for problem-solving.
We embrace flexibility: Choosing where, when and how to work can vary according to task and team schedules. Flexibility isn’t office or online, it means choosing the space that works best for you, your teams and our customers on a case-by-case basis.
We want to be at our best: The way we work and our workspaces are designed to support our well-being, offer career advancement opportunities, and enable us to be at our best.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on innovative, customer-first health technology solutions. Help us improve the health and well-being of billions of people, every year. Ultimately creating a career that no one could have planned for. Even you.
To find out more about what it’s like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the on our career website, where you can read stories from our . Once there, you can also learn about our , or find answers to some of the .